Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Dinner For Two



I am trying, really hard, after my girls lunch exploit, to at least try and cook avery other day, something light, simple (my motto - KEEP IT SIMPLE!!) and nutritious for the family, instead of our cook's tedious and boring Indian concoctions. I have realised that if I plan it properly (from the previous day or in the morning, while the kids are at playschool), I am relaxed while cooking and the results are better. I also try to cook as frugally as possible, using whatever I have at home, and incorporating any leftovers I can.

So this is what we had for dinner yesterday:



BRUSCHETTA
I hand picked tomatoes at Nature's Basket. I wanted them really ripe and as perfect as possible and whoever has shopped for tomatoes in Bombay can vouch this is not an easy task. I peeled and de-seeded two tomatoes (the seeds part was used in a tomato pasta cooking in the meanwhile for the kids). I chopped the flesh in symmetrical cubes and tossed them in crushed garlic, extra virgin olive oil, chopped basil leaves and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
I used a pastry brush to spread some olive oil on bread slices (I used Anjali Mukherjee's diet bread) and put them under the oven grill for 5-7 minutes. Topped the bread with the tomatoes and voila...






CHICKEN, BACON AND AVOCADO SALAD
I defrosted a packet of chicken legs and cut out the meat (I used the remaining bones and bits of
meat to make a stock, now in the freezer, ready to be used to cook pasta). I marinated the meat in lemon, garlic, olive oil and garlic chili dip from Fabindia. In a pan, I made crispy bacon (cook without adding any oil, on slow fire, for 15-20 mins). I removed the bacon and in the same pan, I stir fried the chicken pieces and set aside. In a salad bowl, I chopped up some onions and a piece of avocado just about to get spoilt. Added some mixed salad leaves and seasoned with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Tossed it all up and layered the chicken and bacon on top.









Highly recommended - a chilled glass of beer!!!

No comments: