Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Lovely Leftovers

My mom has visited a lot in the last 3 years to help me take care of the kids. Although we fight a lot during her visits, I love it when she is around... I know, it sounds illogical. But when she is here, I eat better, dress better, take better care of myself and the house. She pushes me to make this extra effort in life.

One of the things she has helped me a lot is to manage the kitchen. I never realised the terrible amount of wastage my kitchen was producing. But my mom brought along her generation's unique blend of frugality and taste for fine, yet simple food. She can toss an ordinary tomato salad, bake some cheese on toast and pour herself half glass of sparkly, bubbly beer - I can't think of a more satisfying and light meal!

Anyway, I was thinking about all this on my way back from my son's school and decided I will make myself of a meal of only leftovers. This is what I found at home:

- leftover kids' tomato and carrots pasta
- some fresh tomatoes
- arugula, fresh onion and parsley just on the verge of wilting
- chicken stock, ready to put in the freezer, with the bones still inside, and some tiny, juicy bits of chicken

So I this is what I had:
- salad made of arugula, parsley, fresh onion, boiled chicken bits, and a dressing of extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar
- the pasta, with a drizzle of tobasco
- salted lassi (yogurt with water and a sprinkle of salt)

Yum!

No comments: