Tuesday, February 21, 2012

In season... And an LWL contest. READ ON AND MAYBE YOU COULD WIN A PRIZE

A few days ago, since there weren't two toddlers strapped at the back seat, I could actually stop and enjoy some of the colours and freshness at my local vegetable vendor's van.





Could not take my eyes off the green pepper and these juicy, shiny red chilies. But was most of all amazed to lift my head up and see, strapped to the roof of the van, a bunch of fresh garlic sporting a long, crunchy, white "beard"! The sight of it brought me right back to my childhood, when my mother used it in a cold summer soup called tarator (a mix of chopped cucumbers, dill, yoghurt, oil, salt and garlic, much like the Indian raita and the Greek tzatziki, but more liquidy) - so my mom would use the fresh garlic when it was in season and it made a dramatic difference to the taste!

But... the other point of this post is to put you to the test and hopefully learn something new in the bargain!!

PLEASE IDENTIFY THE VEGETABLES IN PICTURE 1 (THE GREEN GLOBES) AND 2 (THE SMALL PODS) AND COMMENT WITH THEIR NAMES AND THE BEST WAYS TO USE THEM IN COOKING (WOULD LOVE TO GET SOME TRIED AND TESTED RECIPES). THE WINNER(S) WILL GET A FREE COPY OF THE LATEST "GOOD FOOD" MAGAZINE.

1 comment:

Moni said...

The second pic looks like fresh fava beans to me - they come in a pod that's a bigger, flatter version of a pea pod and you have to peel another layer off before you eat them. Also called broad beans. Never saw them in Bombay before but things change!